At my office in southeast Michigan, I often hear the patient’s say “I can’t find a good pillow”, “What kind of pillow do you recommend”, or “I slept wrong last night, must be my pillow”.
I already have a post on how to pick the right pillow for you here. This tells you how to pick the right pillow for neck support. What many people don’t know is that your head and neck dictate how your body will feel. Think of your spine as a long chain and if you twist the top then the bottom will also twist.
So, it follows that if we pick the right pillow then that will help our back pain as well. I’m going to pick out a pillow that is good for:
Back and Side Sleepers
NOT stomach sleepers
Stomach sleeping puts so much torsion and strain on your neck and spine that there is absolutely no pillow that will make an appreciable difference. Eventually, stomach sleeping will lead to early deterioration of the spine.
Ok, so let’s look at the best pillow for neck and back pain.
EPABO Contour Memory Foam Pillow Orthopedic Sleeping Pillow
– Side or Back sleepers
– Takes 2 weeks to adapt
– Memory Foam
– Chemical Free
– Stay cool technology
– 30 day satisfaction guarantee
Misiki Orthopedic Pillow
– Memory Foam, Staple Rayon, Polyester Fiber
– Moderately Firm
– Butterfly shaped design
– Wedge extension supports mid-back region
– Best for back and side sleepers
– Back sleeping- provides gentle traction, can reduce snoring
– Side sleeping- wing incision goes under the shoulder to remove the pressure, the arm goes on armrests to reduce arm/hand numbness
– Detachable pillowcase
Elviros Cervical Memory Foam Pillow
– Slope keeps head in place during sleep
– Reduces tension and stress on the neck during sleep
– Can reduce snoring and provide a more restful sleep
– Cutouts give armrests during sleep
– Removable breathable pillowcase
– Memory foam core